Categories



The Qatari emir has said the U.S. will not be allowed to use its military base in the tiny Gulf state in a military conflict with Iran, the Financial Times reported on Sunday.

“According to the agreement between us and the US, they have to ask us, and with Iran, we will not accept this,” emir Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani told the Financial Times, adding that the superpower can sometimes take the wrong decision.

In a rare public policy statement over the media, the emir, whose country is the world’s largest exporter of liquefied natural gas, said the sanctions against Iran would not be effective.

The emir said Iran should not be pushed to a corner and that the U.S. should try again to engage Tehran in talks.

“The question now is that we want to see peace in our region but how will this peace come? It will not come as the superpower thinks, because sometimes it makes the wrong decision,” FT reported him as saying. “I think all these sanctions will not help,” the emir said.

Qatar holds the world’s third largest natural gas reserves and is way ahead of other countries in optimally utilizing its natural gas reserves for export.

The Gulf emirate’s fast-growing wealth accumulated from LNG and oil exports has boosted its regional political role lately. Earlier in the month Qatari daily Peninsula reported that the country’s per capita income was estimated at $109,000, citing a Credit Suisse report.


0 Responses to “Qatar won’t let US use its land to launch attack on Iran”

  1. No Comments

Leave a Reply

You must login to post a comment.